Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Thursday 26 January 2017

Wild Women Part 1: Inspirational Female Bosses

Rachel

                       Off the back of Trump’s inauguration and his views on women I felt it was important to outline some of the women who have shaped and inspired me both personally and creatively. I’m going to go in chronological order and start with those who inspired me when I was young.  
 
 
 
Jacqueline Wilson  
 I cannot overstate the importance of my favourite author growing up. My love of language, reading and writing is based on my mother and grandmother buying me each and every new Jacqueline Wilson book. My grandmother was a primary school teacher, and as soon as I was old enough she always instilled the importance of reading as widely as I could. I was obsessed with Jacqueline Wilson’s story telling and how relatable it was and how it really felt as though a friend was telling you a story - this has become a theme in my own personal style of writing and this blog I also met her at book signing and she was LOVELY.
 
My Mother 
 Continuing with the theme of people who shaped me when I was young, it’s only as I’ve gotten older that I’ve realised how much of an inspiration my mum was and still is to me. This can be summed up by my favourite item of clothing of my mum’s when I was growing up - a t shirt with a list of wild women, including Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin, Rosa Parks, Debbie Harry, and Joni Mitchell. The most inspiring part of this list, however, was that the last name read AND YOU. I’ve always remembered this and particularly tried to hold onto it when I feel low. My mum’s support, much like the memory of the t-shirt, is embedded deeply and is always constant. On a more practical level she’s inspired me by setting up her own successful therapy business, buying her own house, running self-development courses and always supporting me in everything I do.  
 
Check back on Rachelrelates next week for part 2 of this series on ass kicking women … :)

Rachel / Author & Editor

Welcome to Rachel relates - semi serious life advice for those navigating their twenties. Feel free to browse or email rachelrelates@gmail.com for specific advice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Templates Designed By Templateism | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates