Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Friday 17 March 2017

Changes

Rachel

 

       I’m a proper stickler for keeping things as they are. I hate change. Hate hate hate it. So much so I’ve kept myself in situations I know aren’t right for me for way longer than I should have because I was scared of things changing or feeling like I’d failed or being judged for changing something without a perceived good enough reason. I thought I’d have a chat about really checking in with yourself about your current life set up and necessity for change and how to deal with that.
 
 

I feel like I’ve said this is in a post before but it bears repeating – no one lives your life every day and wakes up and does what you do. So make sure you’re doing what makes you happy not worrying about keeping everyone else happy and doing what’s expected of you. I went through a stage when I was 18 of waking up and feeling immediately happy and fulfilled and blasting music whilst I did my hair and make up – that act alone signified my good mood. Ever since then I’ve tried to hold myself accountable to that level of happiness and try and make sure I’m doing what I need to do to achieve that.

I honestly believe that putting change off can leave lasting damage – don’t wait for other people to instigate change in your life because they won’t – it’s up to you. People will let you stay in a damaging situation if it benefits them and you need to be prepared to stand up for what you want and need. If you stay in a situation which is making you miserable on a daily basis then psychologically this takes its toll. It also says that you don’t care about yourself enough to take yourself out of said situation.

The most important message of this post is deploy constant self life-evaluation. I guess the big three are usually home, relationship and job. Obviously it’s not practical to switch these up every few weeks (the life admin… THE LIFE ADMIN!!!) but probably worth checking in with yourself every 6 months or so to evaluate not how much you’re making or how much you go out or stay in or how many hours you work but instead if you’re happy, fulfilled and making enough time for you. Be honest with yourself about what you need and how you can make it happen.

Don’t lose yourself in other people. That goes for both other people’s opinion and getting lost in the lifestyle of a partner or a best friend. As a close friend of mine always says “you do you babe” and it’s so true. Surround yourself with people who support your happiness – not their version of what you should be doing.

Rachel / Author & Editor

Welcome to Rachel relates - semi serious life advice for those navigating their twenties. Feel free to browse or email rachelrelates@gmail.com for specific advice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Templates Designed By Templateism | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates