Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Spending your Twenties as a Rubik’s Cube

Rachel


 

I came up with this analogy the other day and I really like it. I guess this feeds into the changes post I wrote recently but this has emphasis more on the life stage of your twenties and a rotation of changes until you’re happy with where you land. I think we can mourn changes and focus on the negative impact of them i.e. I miss someone who I’ve cut out of my life or there’s so much life admin related to this new house/job but actually I think in your twenties trial and error is so crucial. You need to try different things in different ways until you have everything how you want it and your cube is right on all sides!



I think some of us judge ourselves and each other for life changes and it’s important to look at this why this is and try and change it. There can be an attitude especially with women of ‘oh she’s flighty she’s moving again’ or ‘ohh I see on linked in she’s got ANOTHER new job’. I’m not sure men are judged in quite the same way. Maybe it’s because women are supposed to be seen as beacons of stability and we’re supposed to be steadfast and reliable. But we also have to be happy and sometimes you have to change your situation and ‘rotate your Rubick’s cube’ until you’re happy.

My whole life (up until fairly recently) I always wanted people to see me as reliable and non-changing so I’ve tended to stay in things for a long time. Maybe I was using it as a front because actually I was petrified by change. But recently I’ve embraced it and I’ve not only stopped seeing it as a negative but started seeing it as positive. I’ve become much more focused on moving onwards and upwards and reminding myself that I do deserve to keep things moving in my life until I’m truly fulfilled and satisfied.

Again I don’t know if this fear of wanting certain things comes from being a woman and not feeling assertive enough to grab things and like I deserve them but I’m really trying to alter my deeper mindset. A few lines I try to tell myself:

·         I am responsible for my own happiness

·         I deserve the things I want

·         I should be fulfilled – it’s my right

·         I have control over my destiny and I can affect the things that happen to me

 

GOOD LUCK! Don’t be scared of ‘unsettling other people’ or ‘doing too many new things at once’. Sometimes you’ve just got to grab those reins and make a big change ;)

Rachel / Author & Editor

Welcome to Rachel relates - semi serious life advice for those navigating their twenties. Feel free to browse or email rachelrelates@gmail.com for specific advice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Templates Designed By Templateism | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates